A professional dental cleaning will be performed by one of our Registered Dental Hygienists. Your dental cleaning visit will include all the components of the dental exam, mentioned above as well as:
- Calculus Removal: Calculus (also called tartar) is hardened plaque forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Plaque Removal: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Chicago Preventive Dentistry
Regular Dental Exams, Oral Cancer Screenings, Oral Hygiene
Keeping Your Smile Healthy
Receiving regular preventive dental care has always been essential to keeping your teeth and gums healthy; now we’ve discovered it’s essential to maintaining overall health, too.
Recent studies have linked the bacteria associated with periodontal (gum) disease to an increased risk in a variety of serious health threats, including:
- Heart attack
- Cancer, including pancreatic cancer
- And many more
Protect your smile. Protect your life. Call to schedule your checkup today • 312.337.3543
We perform a comprehensive dental exam at your initial visit. At regular checkups (recommended every 6 months), your visit will include:
- Digital x-rays (radiographs): To detect any decay, tumors, cysts, or bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening with VELscope Technology: We will check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer. The intra-oral examination will include the use of the VELscope Mucosal Examination System. The VELscope is a handheld device that allows us to painlessly and thoroughly examine the oral tissues for early detection of any abnormalities.
- Periodontal/Gum disease evaluation: We will check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Tooth Decay Examination: We will carefully check all tooth surfaces for decay with special dental instruments.
- Restoration Examination: We will check your current fillings, crowns, bridges and/or other restorations for any sign of wear or deterioration.
Periodontal disease occurs when the pocket between the tooth and gum fills with bacteria, plaque and tartar, causing irritation to the surrounding tissues. Left untreated, these irritants can cause damage to the gums and eventually, the bone that supports the teeth. The bacteria associated with periodontal disease has also been linked to an increase risk in such serious conditions as heart disease, stroke, cancer, premature birth and more.
If periodontal (gum) disease is discovered at your dental hygiene/cleaning visit, we will recommend periodontal therapy; the treatment methods will depend upon the type and severity of the disease.
- Early Stage Gingivitis – If the disease is caught in the early stages of gingivitis, and no damage has been done, one to two regular cleanings will be recommended. You will also be given instructions on improving your daily oral hygiene habits and having regular dental cleanings.
- Advanced Stage Gingivitis – If the disease has progressed to more advanced stages, periodontal scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) will be recommended. In this procedure, tartar, plaque and toxins are removed from above and below the gum line (scaling) and rough spots on root surfaces are smoothed (planing), helping gum tissue to heal and pockets to shrink. Medications, special medicated mouth rinses, and an electric tooth brush may be recommended to help control infection and healing.
If the pockets do not heal after scaling and root planing, periodontal surgery may be needed to reduce pocket depths, making teeth easier to clean. If this occurs, we may refer you to a periodontist, a specialist of the gums and supporting bone. We have a long-term relationship with a reputable, experienced periodontist in the area and refer all of our patients to his practice for advanced periodontal care.
< Cosmetic Dentistry Smile Gallery >